Wednesday, January 2, 2008

My Other Love


It's like riding a bike. Sometimes you forget when to change gears or how soon into a turn you should lean. In my head, there were five steps to setting up a loom. Each time I got to a new task, I had forgotten two other things that had to be done first. But all the while, I was in love. In love with the idea of having the time to weave. In love with getting to the next step and ultimately cutting the piece free from the knots that I tied in the very beginning.
.
Weaving does something else for me. It gives me time for my mind to wander. Wander to the days when my kids are grown. Wander back to my first weaving class. Wander back to conversations I have had and what I 'should' have said, or what I wish I would have (or have not) said. Wander to thoughts of loved ones who have passed. It isn't unusual for my mind to take me on this crazy ride through all of the above places and come out laughing and crying at the same time.
.
I can't really think of any other time when my mind wanders like this. I either have the radio, TV, or kids to keep me grounded. When I come up from the basement (my new 'loom room'), I feel refreshed and rejuvenated. It amazes me how a craft can do that to me.
.
May I suggest that you all (all four of you) take time today to let your mind wander, it is truly worth it.

No comments: