Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thing A Day: 13

The Pizza Thing.

Pizza crust is a tough thing to replicate gluten free when you live in Buffalo, NY.  Home of Chicken Wings and Pizza.

Pizza here is like the Laurel to Hardy's chicken wings. They just go together.  Usually you hear, "C'mon over, we are getting pizza and wings."

I have tried to replicate the crust.  Here, we like an airy, crispy, medium thickness crust. Not thick Sicilian crust and not NY City thin...in between.

After getting Shauna's new book with this pizza crust recipe, and seeing all the pizza photo's on Facebook from all her followers, I decided it was my turn to try.


Last night, I measured my flours by weight, mixed them up a bit.  I used cornstarch, brown rice flour, teff flour, potato starch flour and sorghum.  I didn't add any gum's and once again, Shauna is right, you don't need them.

After I added my water, oil, yeast mixture, I found that I measured incredibly wrong on my flour weight.  I had soup in my mixer.  So, I added some more teff flour, a bit more cornstarch and a bit of sorghum until it made that slapping noise against the side of the bowl (oh, how I love that sound).

I let it rise, which it didn't.  Not really.  I think my yeast was old.  But you know what?  It didn't matter.  It was good.  Not great, but good.

A little heavy on the teff flour.  Should have went heavier on the sorghum.  Shauna has taught me through her blog, twitter, and her two books that experimenting is good.  I used to always experiment with gluten flours.  Why not with gluten free flours?  There are so many more options these days. I just ordered some chia seeds and chia flour yesterday.  This is becoming fun again.

Thanks Shauna for making my good health delicious with this tomato and goat cheese pizza!

No comments: