Friday, March 18, 2011

Gluten Free Cream Puffs

You've seen these before.

And that's okay, because this isn't just me showing off my puffs.

This was my struggle.  I've never had problems with these before, until I wanted to make them for the baby shower last weekend and because they remind me of my Aunt Kay.  She (and my mom) love a good puff!  I feel very connected to 'something' when I make these.

When I tried them last Friday night, they flopped.  Majorly.  Well, not so much flop, but more of a flap.  They were much too runny.

Last night, since I had all the ingredients, I tried them again.

Big flap.  Again.

(major expletives)

Try one more time.  I used an extra 1/2 cup of flour, used some tapioca, white rice and sorghum and omitted 2 eggs.

They worked, kind off.  The shells were good, are good.  Just not quite there. 

But what I loved the most, is the custard filling.  I've always just used vanilla pudding and cake frosting for the top.  I followed this recipe for the filling (and chocolate topping) and it was FANTASTIC!  Just like those Bavarian cream donuts I used to love.  And the chocolate drizzle, yum.  It's a rich, almost dark chocolate taste, with the smoothness of a syrup.

Oh, and sorry God.  I ate one (two) last night.  I know I gave up eating after 7 pm for Lent.  But...they are cream puffs for heaven's sake.  I know you will pardon me for this one.

I may have squeezed some custard directly from the pastry bag into my mouth as well.  We cool?

1 comment:

Jeans and a Sweatshirt- said...

I'm glad they finally worked. You have much more perseverance than me! I would have just given up.