Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Affirmation Project: Day 10

My Positive:  I am a good neighbor.  Just like State Farm.

Now, some would say I was nosey.  I prefer, "knowledgeable" of the goings on in the neighborhood.  I feel it is my obligation to my neighbors.  I like to know what is common in the area, spot repeat offenders in speeding, and non-pooper scooper pooch parents.  I am fortunate enough to work at home and my "office" happens to be in my living room.  Right in front of the large front window.

It's also hereditary.  An Evans family tradition is to peek out the curtains at every falling leaf.  Or the less secretive way: stick your head in the window with the lights on behind you...not so smart.

Being a good neighbor isn't just about being "knowledgeable", it's about caring for the people around me.  Waving, lending tools, picking up mail and newspapers, keeping an eye on children, holding the house key in case something happens while they are away.  I like being a neighbor.  I like having neighbors close by.  We are very fortunate to have the neighbors we have.  Well, for the most part.  Do you remember this post?  Out of the 10 closest neighbors, this guy is the only one that doesn't quite socialize the way the rest of us do.


My Affirmation:  I won't burn bridges and even when we get our farm (pipe dream in 20 years), I will continue to be good neighbors, and relax a bit on the "knowledgeable" part.

1 comment:

MoreThanBooks said...

You're the best neighbor anyone could ask for. Nosey-no. Concerned and sweet-absolutely!