Thursday, August 18, 2011

Looking Back Forward

Last year around this time, I was preparing for my first 5K...which has turned out to be my last one as well.

My knees just can't handle the pain.  They still aren't back to the way they were before I started running.  I suppose I shouldn't blame it all on the running.  It's age.

As I think to the next year of my life to come, I wonder how my body will revolt.

This summer has been great, still two more weeks until school starts.  Each summer seems to go by faster than the one before.  I guess it is good, but sometimes I wish I would slow down. 

Then the red guy on my shoulder pulls my ear "Do you really want to slow down?"  There are so many things I want to make, experience and accomplish.  The sun is only up for so long.  I want to pack the days full of busyness so that we have a summer of exploration to look back on.  Or forward to, for next year.

As I embark on the final year of Tom being a college student, I seem to be looking forward a full year, not just a day or a week.  I think about how next summer will be different from this one.  We have made so many sacrifices as a family, due mostly in part to money or time away from studies.  Tom has no control over his schedule, it controls us.  Our friends are venturing to a vacation home this week where our five favorite families will spend time at the beach.

And we will be home.  It's sad that we had to make yet another sacrifice.  I'm sure the kids would have loved playing with their friends. 

It is at this point that I skip to next year.  I gloss over all the holidays, and birthdays, and just think "will we be able to go next August?".

I think I've carried on too much.  Am I alone?  Or is it this L'Occitane shampoo that is affecting my mind?  It's such a strange smell.

Share with me.  Show me I'm not alone. 

Show me it's good to look back and forward at the same time.

No comments: