Thursday, September 29, 2011

Do SomeTHING: Day 29

 I read some of my book last night while Big Boy was taking his shower.  It's a book that hits home. I've always wanted a farm.  Not necessarily a poodle, but neither does the author.  This book reminds me of the Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell that bought the Beekman farm in Sharon Springs, NY and try to figure out how to switch from city folk, to country folk.
This one, I'm reading with Little Man.  We thought it was going to be a scary book, but as it turns out, I laugh more than Little Man gets a bit frightened.  We left off at the dust bunnies under the bed and he was so scared, until I showed him (yes, I was able to find one) what they are.  He laughed and laughed that adorable, honest, giggle of my five year old.  I hope that never dies.

Last night I rested with Big Boy on his bed.  And I fell asleep.  Woke up at 11 pm, totally missing my shows and all the "work" I was planning on.  I tried to go downstairs and do something, but it just didn't happen.

While laying with Big Boy, I was amazed at the comfort I brought him.  Just being there, not talking.  I love that boy.  He's discovering himself, learning about friendships, listening in class, remembering his homework (most of the time), and being a good kid.  He still has issues with some things that we are working on, but ever since we instituted positive only reinforcement, our lives have changed dramatically.  He is no longer punished for things he doesn't or can't do, his is rewarded when he does things efficiently.  Our home is privilege only TV/Screen time.  If he does his work, chores, and is kind, he gets rewarded with television or Wii time.  Such a simple concept, yet so extremely effective.  I wish I had gotten my head out of the sand a year ago and instituted this concept then.  I guess we all learn.  Raising kids, raising boys, and raising an ADHD boy is tough work and it is a learning process.  Trial and error.  I hope this trial works error free for the length of the school year.

Do SomeTHING is a month long of creativity, project finishing, exploration, and imagination.  What was your THING for today?  Leave your link in the comments for us all to see.

No comments: