Thursday, December 8, 2011

Coinstar

The big green machines.

I am lazy when it comes to rolling change in those wrappers.  The time I would spend is surely better spent doing something else.  And that is why giving 9.8% to CoinStar is okay by me.

I had planned on getting the cash back, until I saw they now have Amazon.com and iTunes gift cards for your money.  All of your money.  They don't take a penny.

Before you deposit your money, you select the gift card (basically a gift receipt) that you desire, and agree to all the legal language.  Once you complete dumping all of your change into the machine, a receipt prints out.  That code is available immediately.

This is a great opportunity to purchase items on line, if you are worried about your credit card.  You could put cash (yes, paper money works in CoinStar) into the machine, and get a gift receipt for Amazon.com, then make your purchases, feeling safe that your information is secure.  I haven't tested this theory of not having to enter a credit card number, assuming your certificate covers the full amount of your purchase, this should work.

Either way, when kids get money as gifts or allowance and would like to buy something from Amazon, they could deposit this money into CoinStar and get the receipt for no cost.

And for my coffee loving friends, Starbucks is no fee certificates, as well as ToysRUs, CVS, JCPenney, Land's End, Gap and Regal Cinemas.  A full list of the no fee certificates are here. 

You can even donate to the Red Cross through CoinStar.

Something for everything.  I'm looking at my coin jar differently these days.

No comments: