Wednesday, January 4, 2012

4/366

I have my 'set' of blogs that I read daily.  I have another set that I read once in a while.  I have a couple websites I go to often, some only when a link from Facebook looks interesting.

One of those sites I visit from links on Facebook is Regretsy.  My cousin turned me onto Regresty a couple years ago when the main topic was making fun of handmade items.  I still wonder if one day one of my monster purses will show up...but so far, so good.

What has happened with Regretsy is remarkable.  This woman, April, has taken her mockery of DIY and moved people to action.

This Christmas, she, with the support of her readers, gave Christmas gifts to 200 children that weren't going to get many/or any gifts this year.  She has a group called "April's Army" that supports Etsy sellers that are barely making ends meet.  If April says, "This poor girl needs a new car so she can take her elderly mom to the doctor", she will get endless offers of money within minutes of posting.  It is quite amazing.

During the Christmas giving for children, PayPal did some crooked things to the donations, assuming they were bogus and April was doing something illegal.  Turns out, PayPal apologized and gave each family a $200 gift card as an apology.  It was a big scandal.

This evening, the Regretsy post was from the Mailbag.  A note from an eBay seller that used PayPal to complete the transaction.  Seller sold an antique violin.  Buyer felt he/she was scammed and the label was fake.  PayPal claimed the violin was "counterfeit" and ordered Buyer to smash the violin.  In total destruction.

I can't believe the Buyer, that spent $2,500 on this instrument, would simply listen to some schlocky at PayPal and physically destroy this.  You can read about it here WITH WARNING...adult language abounds. 

But what I really want to point out to you today are the comments that follow this post from Regretsy.  After I closed my dropped mouth and took in a breath, I started reading the comments.  Rage, utter confusion, disbelief were all common threads.  Then the magic of Regretsy readers started.  They offered help, monetary help, without prompt.  Donating handmade crafts, offers to purchase crafts, offers to send money for legal costs.

One reader happens to work next to the Museum of Musical Instruments and posted this story on the Facebook page of members of the Museum and is following up in person tomorrow. 

Another reader was a lawyer, offered his advice and future assistance.

I am inspired by Regretsy. 

It's like finally meeting that huge biker dude with all the tattoos that you were afraid of all summer, then meet him only to find out he is a knitter.

No comments: