Thursday, August 2, 2012

216/366: Gluten Free Banana Bread

Yes, it's that bread again.

Banana bread.  Gluten Free.  Mini-chocolate chips.

I followed this recipe:

Best Banana Bread – GF
Adapted from Bette Hagman by Carrie

1 1/4 cup GF flour
½ cup chia flour
2/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup shortening
½ tsp. xantham gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1 ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
½ tsp. sea salt
2 eggs
3 bananas mashed
Mini chocolate chips (about 1 cup, give or take)
350 degree oven
Cream shortening, add sugar. Add beaten eggs. Slowly add flour and dry ingredients. Add mashed banana. Add chocolate chips.
Bake in greased loaf pan for 40 – 50 minutes. Cover with foil half way through. 

For the flour, I usually make up my own mix, highlighting Sorghum flour.  Wouldn't you know, I'm out of sorghum?  I used mostly King Arthur GF Flour Mix (1 1/4 cup) and Chia Flour (1/2 cup).  It gives the batter a dark speckled look, which I deem healthy.

Salt.  It calls for 1/2 teaspoon.  I grabbed the sea salt since it was first to fall out of the spice cupboard.  Since I am not good at following recipes...I'm a rebel, you know...I used the sea salt for the full 1/2 teaspoon and then added two shakes of regular salt.

It's a winner.  Not sure what makes it so good, the proper flour blend, the surprise bits of chunky salt or the mini chocolate chips.  I'm not sure, but this may be a recipe I follow.

Try sea salt, it's interesting in banana bread.  I bet it would be really nice in an apple bread, too.

No comments: