Thursday, October 5, 2017

RECIPE: Spaghetti Squash Flat Bread Pizza (Gluten Free)

This is a keeper.

Cauliflower crust seems to be all the rage these days.  Personally, I find it bland and boring.  I'd rather go without.

But...Mr. Spaghetti Squash...he's a good egg.

This isn't a super fast recipe, but it has minimal ingredients, which I appreciate.

If you are super pressed for time, go to your local market and head to the salad bar.  I grabbed a small container and filled with a few things for my flatbread/pizza.  Yes, you can call this pizza and you can eat the whole thing.

This flat bread would work great with a rolled sandwich or dipped in some pasta sauce.  I like to overcook mine so that it gets crispy.




I'm currently eating clean, so I went super veggie on this with a teaspoon of grated Parmesan - mostly for the photo, I normally leave it off totally.  But if you want a pizza, sauce and cheese it up!

Cooking the Squash:
Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and stringy goop.
Place face down in half inch of water in a baking dish.  Roast in oven at 375 for 30 minutes or so.  I don't set a timer, when I smell it and there are a few brown spots on the skin, it's done.

Draining Squash
Take your fork and scrape out the squash into a bowl.  I often let this rest for an hour or even stick it in the fridge for a day or two.  Squeezing the water out of a hot squash is painful.

When you are ready, put a cheesecloth or dish towel on the counter and place your squash in the center.  Roll the sides over and start twisting the water out of the squash over your sink.  You may have to open up the towel and adjust the squash and repeat.  It always amazes me how much water is in there!




Squash after Draining
Making the Flatbread:
Drained spaghetti squash
2 eggs (if choosing to add cheese to your crust, omit one egg)
Italian seasonings, to taste
Onion powder, to taste

Mix it up with your hands.  It will be the consistency of a thick brownie batter.  Spread mixture on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  You will spread this like you are putting lotion on.  Or like a queen waves her hand in a parade.

Baked flatbread


Bake in 350 oven for approximately 25 minutes. 

Keep an eye on this, it all depends on how much water you got out of the squash. 

When you see it curl a bit on the edges and have some crusty spots, flip it over and put back in the oven for 10 minutes. 

Top with your favorite toppings and put back in the oven for another 7-10 minutes, or till toppings are melted, warmed, crispy...



Please let me know if you try this and how it worked out for you in the comments below. This won't hold up like a Buffalo pizza crust - so get that though out of your head right now.


No comments: